Winnipeg Warriors (minor pro)
The Winnipeg Warriors
were a minor league hockey
team that played in the Western Hockey League (minor pro)
from 1955 to 1961. Owned by Winnipeg's prominent Perrin family, the Warriors represented the return of professional hockey to Winnipeg after a 27-year absence. In 1955, the Warriors Club was the first tenant in the brand-new Winnipeg Arena
. The grand opening of Winnipeg Arena occurred on October 18, 1955, during the Warriors' WHL season opening game against the Calgary Stampeders (hockey) club. The ceremonial faceoff, conducted by John Draper Perrin
, Sr., President of the Warriors, occurred before a standing room crowd of 9,671 fans, the largest in WHL history. Captained by Fred Shero and including players such as Hockey Hall of Fame member Bill Mosienko, as well as Eric Nesterenko, Danny Summers, Gary Aldcorn, Cec Hoekstra, Fred Burchell, Bill Burega, Barry Cullen, Mickey Keating, Eddie Mazur and Ed Chadwick, the 1955 - 56 Warriors, managed by J. D. (Jack) Perrin, Jr., Vice President and General Manager and coached by Alf Pike, went on to win the Edinburgh Trophy
, emblematic of the World's Minor Professional Hockey Championship. After six seasons, due to financial trouble relating to their long WHL traveling distances and uncompetitive rents levied by Winnipeg Enterprises, owners of Winnipeg Arena, Warriors owner Jack Perrin asked for a leave of absence from the WHL, which was granted. However, the Warriors never returned to the league.
The 1956 Winnipeg Warriors were the President's Trophy (later known as the Lester Patrick Cup) and Edinburgh Trophy champions. Also the Team was inducted into the Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame in the team category and Jack Perrin was inducted in the Builder category. A number of the Warriors' players were also inducted over the years.
This page was last edited on 3 April 2018, at 02:40.
under CC BY-SA license.