Whitechapel and St Georges (UK Parliament constituency)
Whitechapel and St George's
was a parliamentary constituency
in east London, which returned one Member of Parliament
(MP) to the House of Commons
of the Parliament of the United Kingdom
It was created for the 1918 general election, largely replacing the old Stepney constituency. It was abolished for the 1950 general election.
The constituency was a division of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney in the East End of London. It comprised the local government wards of Mile End New Town, St George-in-the-East North, St George-in-the-East South, Shadwell, Spitalfields East, Spitalfields West, Tower, Whitechapel Middle, and Whitechapel South.
In 1950 the seat was one of three which were combined to form a single Stepney constituency, covering the whole of the Metropolitan Borough.
In 1965 the area became part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and Greater London.
This page was last edited on 17 September 2017, at 21:21.
under CC BY-SA license.