The Boston and Providence Railroad (B&P) opened a branch line from Forest Hills to Dedham (where it connected with the B&P's preexisting branch to Dedham via Readville) via West Roxbury on June 3, 1850. South Street (Roslindale), Central (Bellevue), West Roxbury, and Spring Street stations all opened with the branch. The New Haven Railroad, successor to the B&P, opened the Needham Cutoff on November 4, 1906 from West Roxbury to Needham Junction, allowing trains from the former New York and New England Railroad to reach Boston without needing to use the Boston and Albany Railroad's Highland Branch. Service to Dedham via West Roxbury ended in 1940, leaving West Roxbury an intermediate station on the commuter lines to Needham and West Medway.
The entire Needham line was closed from 1979 to 1987 while the Southwest Corridor was reconstructed. During that time, all the stations were renovated for handicapped accessibility.
West Roxbury station is served by three MBTA Bus routes:
Route 37 runs on Lagrange Street adjacent to the station entrances; routes 35 and 36 run on Centre Street about 500 feet (150 m) to the southeast.
Media related to West Roxbury station at Wikimedia Commons