Town with the mountain Hohenhewen in the background
Engen has been proved by documentary evidence in the 11th century for the first time, where it belonged to the Baron of Höwen (also Hewen). In the city area of Engen, there has been a medieval castle, the Burg Neuhausen, remaining unlocated however. In the 13th century, Engen received the city charter.
From 1639, the city belonged to the Count of Fürstenberg, and thus to the Principality of Fürstenberg. In 1640, the area has been devastaded by Swedes and French in the context of the Thirty Years' War.
During the War of the Second Coalition, on May 3, 1800, a battle between the Austrians, led by Paul Kray, and the French, commanded by Jean Victor Marie Moreau, took place, resulting in a retreat of the Austrian troops.