1871 Tuckerton Railroad (TRR) is built from Whitings to Tuckerton with 50 lb. rail. Two 4-4-0 wood burning engines are ordered. Track is built past Tuckerton station to the waterfront at Edge Cove for connections to steamships taking vacationers to Long Beach Island (LBI) during summer months. Connections with the Pemberton and New York Railroad, later part of the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR), and the New Jersey Southern Railroad (NJS), later part of the Central Railroad of New Jersey, (CNJ) are made at Whitings. The route from Whitings toward the coast traverses part of the Pine Barrens region.
1872 Toms River and Waretown Railroad (TR&W) is built and physically connected with the TRR at Waretown Jct. and is leased to the NJS.
1872-1874 Tuckerton RR runs through trains 55 miles from Tuckerton to Toms River via rights over the TR&W.
1874 TRR officials discuss options of building track to Trenton.
1879 TR&W builds an extension to Barnegat, running parallel with the TRR for about 2 miles.