Trial Islands Lighthouse
The major Trial Island
is home to the Trial Islands Lighthouse
which is operated by the Canadian Coast Guard
, continues to be staffed by two full-time lightkeepers.
The lighthouse was constructed in 1906. The fourth order Fresnel lens
from 1906 was used until it was replaced in 1970. That original lens is now on display courtesy of the Maritime Museum of British Columbia
in Bastion Square in Downtown Victoria
In September 2009 it was announced that the Trial Island Light would be automated to cut staffing costs.
The Oak Bay Heritage Foundation proposed Trial Island Lighthouse for protection through the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act. Community support including stories and comments are gathered through the Friends of Trial Island Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/trialislandlighthouse
Trial Island Lighthouse is Victoria's landmark lighthouse. In 2015, thanks to the work of the Oak Bay Heritage Foundation and strong public support, it was announced that Trial Island Lighthouse had been granted heritage status
This page was last edited on 5 April 2018, at 14:53.
under CC BY-SA license.