The Town of Ticonderoga is in the southeastern corner of the county and is south of Plattsburgh.
The town was located on the direct route, utilizing rivers and two long lakes, between New York City to the south and the French settlement of Montreal to the north. The town was the setting for historic battles and maneuvers during both the French and Indian War and the American Revolutionary War. Fort Ticonderoga, constructed by the French, who called it Fort Carillon, in the 1750s, marked the location of an important portage between the two lakes.
The Town of Ticonderoga was formed in 1804 from part of the town of Crown Point. By the end of the 18th century, the town was noted for wood products such as paper and lead pencils. The position of the now former Ticonderoga village at the north end of Lake George made it an important port. The village was dissolved on 31 December 1993 after a public referendum, its operations were absorbed by the Town of Ticonderoga.
As early as 1812, Ticonderoga was the site of graphite mining. Commercial mining of graphite began in 1832, though logging remained the chief Industry. Graphite was not widely used in the 19th century, as most writing was done in pen, rather than pencil. It was not until the mid-20th century that pencils came into greater use, with the No. 2 HB pencil becoming the standard writing implement in schools and universities.
Historic Fort Ticonderoga is in this town, east of the former village of Ticonderoga.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 88.5 square miles (229.1 km2), of which 81.4 square miles (210.9 km2) is land and 7.0 square miles (18.2 km2), or 7.93%, is water.