Each brigade was to have approximately 3,600 officers and enlisted men organized into three regiments and, with three such brigades, each division was to total about 11,000 officers and men. Thus the division was to be about the same size as the division of 1861, but army corps were to be larger. The division staff initially was to have an adjutant general, quartermaster, commissary, surgeon, inspector general and engineer, with an ordnance officer added later. The brigade staff was identical except that no inspector general or ordnance officer was authorized.
General Order 46 of May 16, 1898 assigned commanding officers and training camps to the new corps. Major General James F. Wade was named as commander of Third Army Corps, which was to assemble at Camp Thomas, Georgia.
Brigadier General Royal T. Frank (USV) was assigned to command on September 4, and at the same time the corps was transferred to Anniston, Alabama, although a small detachment remained at Camp Thomas.