was a league
during the early days of English football
. It had two incarnations; the first ran only for the 1888–89
season for teams across the Northern England
and the Midlands
, and was wound up before completion. The second was created for the 1890–91 season, but disbanded in 1911. The league comprised teams primarily from North West England
and later Wales
The league should not be confused with the other former Football Combination, a competition for reserve teams from the South of England, or with the Lancashire Combination, another minor league running around the same time.
The first Combination was set up in 1888, the same year the Football League was founded. It consisted of 20 teams, although this proved too many teams for each one to play the other once, let alone twice. Instead each club was to play eight others home and away, making 16 games in total. However unlike the League the Combination was not centrally organised, but left to individual clubs; as a result confusion ensued, as it was not clear whether many matches between clubs were friendlies or Combination matches. Many fixtures were left unfulfilled, and the Combination was wound up in April 1889.
Participating teams included Newton Heath, Grimsby Town, Lincoln City, Burslem Port Vale, Crewe Alexandra, Bootle, Small Heath, South Shore and Blackburn Olympic. Newton Heath, Grimsby, Crewe, Bootle and Small Heath went on to co-found the Football Alliance the following year.
The second incarnation was founded in 1890. The twelve founder members were:
Five of the founding teams would eventually go on to play in the Football League, although in the case of Macclesfield, this would not happen until 1997–98. Glossop North End, who joined in 1894, were also elected to the League (in 1898).
This page was last edited on 10 January 2018, at 21:03.
under CC BY-SA license.
- Nauru National Australian Rules Football Team
- The Combination
- Indian Cricket Team In Zimbabwe In 1992%E2%80%9393
- Strasz%C3%B3w, %C5%9Awi%C4%99tokrzyskie Voivodeship
- Mokry B%C3%B3r, %C5%9Awi%C4%99tokrzyskie Voivodeship
- Pascoe Vale Football Club
- Zidanta II
- Voetboogdoelen, Amsterdam
- The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
- Northway Junction, Alaska
- Gilbert G. Collins
- Walter Wellman
- Windex.php?title=Fish Seeding&action=edit&redlink=1
- Taxi 5
- Carwoola, New South Wales
- Televisi%C3%B3n Regional Del Oriente
- 1954 Mount Druitt 24 Hours Road Race
- Sola I Karlstad
- Germany Women%27s National Soccer Team
- Monkey Hill
- Sergio Escudero (footballer, Born 1964)
- Baron Holland
- Ingegerd Of Norway
- Ian Nelson (actor, Born 1995)
- 2007 AFL Under 18 Championships
- Critical Analysis
- Graham, Anderson, Probst, And White
- Windex.php?title=12 (MBTA Bus)&action=edit&redlink=1