The StarPhoenix was first published as The Saskatoon Phoenix on October 17, 1902 (following a short-lived attempt at a local newspaper, the Saskatoon Sentinel). In 1909, it became a daily paper and, in 1910, was renamed the Saskatoon Capital.
By 1927, there were two daily papers in Saskatoon: the Saskatoon Daily Star and the Daily Phoenix. In January 1928, both papers were bought by the Sifton family of Winnipeg and amalgamated into the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix. In the early 1980s the spelling of the newspaper name was modified to StarPhoenix. Between the 1928 amalgamation and the launch of the Saskatoon edition of Metro in April 2012, the StarPhoenix was the city's only daily newspaper.
In 1996, the StarPhoenix was bought by the Hollinger newspaper chain. It was subsequently sold to CanWest Global Communications in 2000 and became part of the Southam Newspapers division now called CanWest News Service. Canwest was acquired by Postmedia News Inc. and is the current owner of The StarPhoenix.
In 2015, the StarPhoenix press began printing the Regina Leader-Post in addition to its own print edition, after the Regina press was shut down.