Second Temple of Hera (Paestum)
The Temple of Hera II
(also erroneously called the Temple of Neptune
or of Poseidon), is a Greek temple
. It was built in the Doric order
around 460–450 BC, just north of the first Hera Temple. It has six columns along its shorter sides and fourteen columns along its longer sides. The columns do not have the typical 20 flutes on each column, but have 24 flutes. The Temple of Hera II also has a wider column size and smaller intervals between columns. This temple is aligned with a double peaked mountain considered to be sacred by the Greeks.
The name Temple of Neptune is a misnomer from the 18th century, even though it was actually dedicated to the goddess Hera. It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The temple was also used to worship Zeus and another deity, whose identity is unknown. There are visible on the east side the remains of two altars, one large and one smaller. The smaller one is a Roman addition, built when a road leading to a Roman forum was cut through the larger one. It also is possible that the temple originally was dedicated to both Hera and Poseidon; some offertory statues found around the larger altar are thought to demonstrate this identification.
The Temple of Hera II resembles the Temple of Zeus at Olympia. With the other temples at Paestum it is one of the best preserved early Greek temples.
Reconstruction of the second temple of Hera from Pierer's Universal-Lexikon, 1891.
Plan of the second temple of Hera.
Y. Gianni, 1898: Second Temple of Hera (foreground) with First Temple of Hera (background)
A company of soldiers set up its office between the columns (Doric) of the temple of Hera II, after the 1943 Allied Invasion of Italy at Paestum
This page was last edited on 2 October 2017, at 21:58.
under CC BY-SA license.