The original route was opened on 11 May 1898 by the Vienna Stadtbahn. Steam powered trains operated between Wien Hütteldorf and Wien Heiligenstadt on a single track line. On 11 July 1932, passenger service was ended and only freight trains used the line. In 1975 freight service was discontinued and the line was abandoned. In 1979 the City of Vienna, along with ÖBB brought up plans to reactivate the line. In the following years the line was renovated, expanded to two tracks and electrified with 15 kV 16,7 Hz. In 1984 a final plan of the new route was concluded. Service began on 31 May 1987, nearly 55 years after passenger service was discontinued, between Hütteldorf and Heiligenstadt. Passenger traffic greatly increased when service was extended past Heiligenstadt to Handelskai in 1996, offering a connection to the Vienna Trunk Line and increased even more when the U3 U-Bahn line was extended to Ottakring. In 2007 rush hour frequency was increased from 15 minutes to 10 minutes and in December 2012 frequency was increased to 10 minutes on weekdays.