Radio Television Brunei was officially opened on 2 May 1957 with Hari Raya Message from His Majesty Al-Marhum DYMM Paduka Seri Baginda Maulana Al-Sultan Sir Muda Omar Ali Saifuddien III. There was one studio which broadcast for 45 minutes each evening from 8:00 to 8:45 pm. The range of the single 1.2Kw transmitter was only five miles around the capital Brunei and surrounding areas. Radio Brunei first transmitted programs in 1957.
In 1974, RTB had only 171 staff and three transmitting sites giving almost 100% coverage of the country and beyond.
Radio Television Brunei launched the first pilot television service on 1 February 1975 with Channel 5 test transmissions began trial of broadcasts. Official regular television services began on 1 March 1975 from Brunei-Muara District. RTB1 was officially opened by Sultan of Brunei Hassanal Bolkiah on 9 July 1975. There were only three staff in the RTB studio and four to attend the transmitter.
On 1 March 1976, was also the year of the first outside television broadcast which was the coverage of His Majesty's birthday parade from the then 'Town Padang'. The television project was budgeted at B$35M. FM Stereo Radio Services from Brunei-Muara District started on 1 March 1977. At the same time, two high power Medium Wave stations at Brunei-Muara District commenced transmission of the Malay language service. RTB currently has 1000 staff. Coverage by radio and television is almost 100% of Brunei.
On 11 April 2017, RTB made a major rebranding project for its TV stations. RTB1 and RTB5 merged to form RTB Perdana, while RTB2 and RTB3 HD combined as RTB Aneka while RTB4 renamed as RTB Sukmaindera. The rebranding was made as part of RTB’s plan to transition the current analogue television broadcasting to digital television.