Potsdam, New York
is a town
in St. Lawrence County
, New York
, United States. The town population was 17,029 at the 2010 census. The ZIP code
is 13676. Potsdam is a cultural and educational hub of Northern New York. When SUNY Potsdam
and Clarkson University
are in session, the population increases by approximately 8,000 students. The town is named after the city of Potsdam
. The Town of Potsdam
also contains a village named Potsdam
. Potsdam is centrally located within the county and northeast of Canton
, the county seat.
David Clarkson and Garret van Horn were early investors in the town, and settlement began around 1803. The newcomers found Native Americans residing in the town and in the fur trade.
The town was established in 1806 from part of the Town of Madrid. Potsdam is one of the original ten towns of St. Lawrence County.
The community of Potsdam set itself apart from the town in 1831 by incorporating as a village. The community of Raquetteville incorporated as the Village of Potsdam Junction (now Norwood) in 1871.
St. Lawrence Academy, the predecessor of the State University of New York at Potsdam was founded in 1816. In 1896, Clarkson University was founded.
The Potsdam area is well known for its reddish-orange Potsdam sandstone. A large slab of it is on display at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.
This page was last edited on 19 May 2018, at 21:05.
under CC BY-SA license.