Born in Compton, Plymouth, he was the eldest son of Philip John Pilditch and Emma Rosa Pilditch (née Willmott).
In 1907 Pilditch was elected to the London County Council, representing Islington East. He was a member of the Conservative-backed Municipal Reform Party which took control of the council from the Progressive Party which was allied to the Liberal Party. The Islington seat was marginal, and at the next council elections in 1910 he was returned for the safer electoral division of Strand. He held the seat in 1913 and remained on the council until 1919. He was a prominent member of the council, and served as vice-chairman in 1913–1914.
Pilditch held a commission in the 1st Sussex Volunteer Artillery, retiring with the rank of captain. During the First World War he was active in the raising of fifty battalions for the New Army in Surrey, Middlesex and London, and acted as honorary treasurer for the battalion funds.