Firstly mentioned in the year 1268 when the King Přemysl Otakar II bought Opařany redoubt together with the brewery. The Jesuits later in 1727 built a baroque residence with its Frantisek Xaverský church as a resemblance to the church in Prague Clementinum. His interior belongs to one of the most interesting work of art in central Europe. As an author of the project of the church was authorized Kilián Ignác Dienzenhofer, one of the famous architects of his time. After canceling the Jesuits' order the manor was gained by the Paars. Regional committee of Czech Empire has decided to use the property as a mental hospital in 1877. Since 1923 the institution has served as psychiatric hospital for children only.
Opařany comprises 6 local villages:
The Czech motorcycle cross country (motocross) race held annually.
Hailstorm in 1999