In September 1952 a monument to Stalin was installed on the square with a height of 10 m. In 1957. Between the main square and central park were government stands, from which the party and state leadership of the BSSR took parades and welcomed the demonstrations like May 1, Victory Day, and the October Revolution.Therefore, the square acquired the status of the city's main square. On November 3, 1961, Stalin's monument was demolished, and in 1966 the area was replaced by the opening of a museum built in honor of the Great Patriotic War. In 1984, the area was renamed to October Square and construction of the Palace began on it, which dragged on for 17 years, resulting in the central square of the status being returned to the Lenin Square.
After independence, the area was often the venue for concerts, festivals, as well as socio-political action, in which the area is decorated with the appropriate attributes. From 2000 to today center area of the square put up the highest artificial tree in the country (height 30 m, diameter 18 m) around which the skating-rink and above the area carried out a festive illumination.
Palace of the Republic
Museum of the Great Patriotic War