The struggle to form the Naranjito town began in 1810. After a series of major incidents with powerful political interests of the time, on December 3, 1824, Don Braulio Morales successfully founded the town of Naranjito. The town was founded in the neighborhood of the same name, on a land donated by Doña Manuela Rivera and Don Braulio Morales. Morales was named "Captain Settler" and at the same time was appointed mayor of the town in development. The name "Naranjito" is derived from a small orange tree that served as a reference point for travelers looking for in the shortest way to the town of Toa Alta. At the time of its foundation, Naranjito consisted of five wards/districts, "Lomas", "Guadiana", "Achiote", "Nuevo" and "Cedro". "Cedro" was divided in 1853 in "Cedro Arriba" and "Cedro Abajo", also having the urban zone composed by "San Miguel", "San Antonio" and "San Cristobal" districts.
Traditionally the main agricultural crops of Naranjito are coffee and the tobacco. In recent years have borne fruits such as bananas, oranges, papayas, and other tropical fruits; also in the town the poultry factory has been very popular, specifically the dairy cattle (fresh milk). Naranjito has many factories, most of these factories make garments (clothing).
Naranjito Changos better known as Los Changos De Naranjito are a professional male volleyball team based in Naranjito. The team is one of the most successful sport's franchises in Puerto Rico.