A playground, benches and various artworks (including a marble copy of Michelangelo's sitting Moses statue) are features of the park. Paths cross the park connecting to Queen Street, K Road, Grey's Avenue and Aotea Square.
Opened in 1915 Myers Park is sometimes referred to as Auckland's oldest park which is incorrect as several parks predate it; the Auckland Domain 1842, Western Park 1875, Albert Park 1884, Victoria Park 1905, Point Erin Park 1911 and Parnell Park 1913 (now Dove-Myer Robinson Park).
The gully was the start of the Waihorotiu Stream, also known as the 'Queen Street River'. As it followed the route of Queen Street below Victoria Street the open stream became polluted, its lower reaches being little more than an open sewer. Several modifications were made, in the 1870s the City Engineer Mr Ligar tried to stabilise the crumbling earth banks by creating wooden barrier walls resulting it ir being referred to as the "Ligar Canal".
In the 1880s it was bricked over as part of the emerging storm-water and sewerage system. It is now completely underground but still discharges into the harbour beneath the Ferry Building at the bottom of Queen Street. The last portions of the stream to be put underground were the lower part of what is now Myers Park in 1908 and the upper reaches in 1914 when the park was created.