Municipal Borough of Stretford

Coat of arms of Stretford Borough Council
Local Government District 1868–1894
Urban district 1894–1933

Stretford was, from 1868 to 1974, a local government district coterminate with the town of Stretford, Lancashire, England.

In 1868 the township of Stretford adopted the Local Government Act 1858, and a local board was formed to govern the town. In 1889 the district became part of the administrative county of Lancashire.

The Local Government Act 1894 reconstituted the local board's area as Stretford Urban District. An urban district council of eighteen members replaced the local board. The urban district was divided into six wards, each returning three councillors: Clifford, Cornbrook, Longford, Stretford, Talbot and Trafford.

In 1933 the urban district was enlarged when the Davyhulme area was added on the abolition of the neighbouring Barton upon Irwell Rural District by a county review order.

In 1933 the urban district was granted a charter of incorporation and Stretford became a municipal borough. The charter was formally presented by the Earl of Derby, Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire at a Charter Day celebration held on 16 September. At the same time the Earl officially opened the Town Hall.

This page was last edited on 22 May 2018, at 01:00.
Reference: under CC BY-SA license.

Related Topics

Recently Viewed