It is 632 feet (193 m) high, with 48 floors, and contains 350,000 sq ft (33,000 m2) of office or mixed-use space. In September 2002, the building's lobby was renovated, restoring the 15-foot (4.6 m) ceilings.
Current tenants include the Moroccan consulate.
The building was completed in 1929 when 90 percent of the electricity in lower Manhattan was direct current. In that year New York Edison announced plans that it was going to convert the entire system to alternating current. The last 2 rotary converter substations generating direct current (at West 26th and West 39th Street) were retired in 1977 and the DC conversions were handled by solid-state rectifier units. The 2007 event shifted the responsibility for providing the conversion from Con Edison to the building via a local converter. Many of the buildings built in 1929 and before still use direct current with the local converter -- most notably for elevators. New York City's subway system which uses a third rail electric system is still direct current (with the MTA providing the local converters from AC to DC.