The mill was built for £529, 11s in 1775–1776, on land owned by the surgeon Herbert Jones. It is classified as a tower mill. The machinery is within a stone tower and the moving top, or cap cwch, turns so that the sails hwyliau catch the wind from any direction. The tower was 9.3 metres tall and with four floors. It was used to drive machines for grinding corn, oats and barley. The first miller, Thomas Jones (1756–1846), worked it until his death. The position of miller was passed down through the generations, eventually going to a cousin William Pritchard.
A storm in 1918 damaged the cap stopping it turning to face the wind. It still operated intermittently for the next six years when the wind was from the south-west. Eventually the mill closed and became increasingly dilapidated. It remained deserted and unused until the local council restored it between 1978 and 1986. It reopened in 1986 and now produces stoneground flour.