is a district
in the Scottish
city of Glasgow
. It is situated south of the River Clyde
and lies immediately west of Govan
. Although it is currently located within Govan (Ward 05)
of Glasgow City Council
and is often referred to locally as 'Govan', it was in fact a distinct area separate from Govan until 1901 when it willfully became part of Govan
until 1912 when the Burgh was annexed to Glasgow.
Linthouse was home to the shipbuilder Alexander Stephen and Sons Limited who built many famous vessels for the Royal Navy in the 20th Century.
Linthouse was a separate Church of Scotland parish (Linthouse St. Kenneth) until November 2007 when it merged with the neighbouring parishes of Govan Old and New Govan to become part of the new Govan and Linthouse parish.
Towards the end of the 19th century, there was a Scottish Football League club in the area, Linthouse F.C..
The Linthouse Urban Village is an organisation promoting the Linthouse area, as part of the larger Govan Initiative organisation. They run the LUV cafe on Govan Road and a gallery on the other side of the road. The Luma Tower is a famous landmark in the area; originally an Art Deco light bulb factory - it was restored and converted to private housing in the mid-1990s.
Linthouse also runs an annual Christmas market in the "Tunnel Park" which overlooks the Clyde Tunnel.
This page was last edited on 2 April 2017, at 16:40 (UTC)
under CC BY-SA license.