The Kiev Military District was a Military District, a territorial division type utilised to provide more efficient management of army units, their training and other operations activities related to combat readiness. The district originally covered the Kiev Governorate, Podolie Governorate (less Balta County), and Volhynia Governorate.
Assigned formations included the 10th Army.
In 1888 the Kharkov Military District was merged into the Kiev Military District.
After the October Revolution in Petrograd the district came under jurisdiction of the Ukrainian People's Republic and existed until (early February 1918) the advance of the Petrograd-Moscow Red Guards forces of the Antonov's Task Force that was charged to fight counter-revolution in the Southern Russia.
The district was not reinstated during brief Bolshevik period in 1918 nor after the establishment of the Ukrainian State.
The district was reinstated on March 12, 1919, and then again disbanded on August 23, 1919, with the advance of the Denikin's forces.