The Katsina Royal Palace 'Gidan Korau' is a huge complex located in the centre of the ancient city. It is a symbol of culture, history and traditions of 'Katsinawa'. According to historical account, it was built in 1348 AD by Muhammadu Korau who is believed to be the first Muslim King of Katsina. This explains why it is traditionally known as 'Gidan Korau' (House of Korau). It is one of the oldest and among the first generation Palaces in Hausaland. The rest are that of Daura, Kano and Zazzau. The Palace was encircled with a rampart 'Ganuwar Gidan Sarki' (which is now extinct). The main gate which leads to the Palace is known as 'Kofar Soro'while the gate at the backyard is called 'Kofar Bai' (now extinct). The Emir's residential quarters which is the epicenter of the Palace, is a large compound built in the typical Hausa traditional architecture. The current Emir of Katsina is Alhaji Abdulmumini Kabir Usman.
Katsina State has 34 local governments. The local government area of Katsina is an area of 142 km2, with a population of 318,459 at the 2006 census.
The postal code of the area is 820.
Surrounded by city walls 21 kilometres (13 mi) in length, Katsina is believed to have been founded circa 1100. In pre-Islamic times, Katsina's semi-divine ruler was known as the Sarki, who faced a summary death-sentence if found to be ruling incompetently. From the 17th to the 18th century, Katsina was the commercial heart of Hausaland and became the largest of the seven Hausa city-states. Katsina was conquered by the Fulani during the Fulani War in 1807. In 1903, the Emir, Abubakar dan Ibrahim, accepted British rule, which continued until Nigerian independence from Britain in 1960.