The Institute was founded in 1947 as the Institute for Slavic and Balcan Studies of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Since 1997, the Institute has its current name. Amongst the researchers of the Institute were Academicians of the RAS: Yulian Bromley, Nikolay Derzhavin, Boris Grekov, Gennady Litavrin, Dmitry Markov, Leonid Milov, Sergey Obnorsky, Vladimir Picheta, Yury Pisarev, Mikhail Tikhomirov, Nikita Tolstoy, Vladimir Toporov, and Oleg Trubachyov; Corresponding Members of the RAS: Tatiana Nikolaeva, Petr Tretyakov, Zinaida Udaltsova, and Vladimir Volkov. Currently, there are Academicians of the RAS: Vladimir Dybo, Vyacheslav Ivanov, and Andrey A. Zaliznyak; Foreign Member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts Anatolij A. Turilov; and Corresponding Members of the RAS: Aleksey Gippius and Boris Floria.
The principal lines of research at the Institute are as follows:
The Institute for Slavic Studies publishes several academic journals and periodicals:
Slavianovedenie (Russian: Славяноведение, ISSN 0132-1366) is an academic journal published six times a year since 1965 (before 1992, Sovetskoe Slavianovedenie). Issues of the journal since 1965 till 2009 are available free on the website of the Institute.