The village is on the north eastern outskirts of the county town of Stafford and is just 3.2 miles (5.1 km) from the town centre. The village is 18.1 miles (29.1 km) south of Stoke on Trent. The nearest railway station is 3.3 miles (5.3 km) in Stafford. The village is situate a short distance east of the B 5066. The nearest main road are the A513 which passes the village 1.1 miles (1.8 km) to the west.
The genesis of the village name of Hopton is of Anglo Saxon origin and comes from the Old English word hop which means an enclosed area, which sometimes refers to remote places in marsh or moorland, or as in the case of Hopton, an enclosed valley. The second part of the name Hopton comes from tun, which in Old English has the meaning farmstead, so giving the village name the whole meaning of the farmstead in the enclosed valley.
Hopton is listed in the Domesday Book of 1086. In the survey the village has the name Hotone in the Hundred of Pirehill. In the survey the settlement was described as of a medium size with 12 households. The assets of the village listed include 6 villager or villein, meadow of 4 acres, 2 furlongs by half furlong wide of woodland, 4 smallholders and 2 slaves. There was also 6 ploughlands (land for), 2 lord's plough teams, 3 and half men's plough teams. In 1066 the lord of the manor was held by the free man Alward. In 1086 the lord of the manor was held by Gilbert of Hopton from Robert of Stafford. The Tenant-in-chief in 1086 was Robert of Stafford. Taxation figures show the village had a Taxable value 2 geld units with a value to lord in 1086 of £2. The total tax assessment was valued at 2 geld unit. .
Reference is made in a document from 1587 which records annuel rent that was due from the Chapel of Saint Peter. The chapel then belonged to Saint Mary's Collegiate Church in Stafford. The annual rent due was for the amount of 20 pennys for the building and its associated chapel yard. The long gone chapel was located just west of the village outskirts north of Hopton Lane in a field still known as Church Hill