The Gopachal rock cut Jain monuments are located inside the fort of Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, on a rock cliff east of the Scindia School. The Gwalior city and the fort is connected to other Indian cities by major highways NH 44 and 46 (Asian Highway 43 and 47), a railway station and airport (IATA: GWL). It is located near other historic Hindu and Jain temples from the medieval era.
The Gopachal rock cut monuments are a part of nearly 100 Jain monuments found in and around the Gwalior city, but these are dated earlier than the Siddhachal Caves located about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) north of these monuments. Both monuments were defaced and desecrated around 1527 when the Emperor Babur ordered their destruction. Centuries later, the Jain community restored many of the statues by adding back stucco heads on the top of the damaged idols.
The prolific Apabhramsha author Raidhu was responsible for consecrating many of the Jain rock carved images as attested by multiple inscriptions. These include the two colossal images of Adinatha (57 feet) and Chandraprabha.
The Gopachal rock-cut monuments depict the Tirthankaras in seated or standing meditating positions. They are not as colossal as some of those found in the Siddhachal Caves, but they are big. The Gopachal monuments include standing and seated Rishabhanatha (Adinatha), Neminatha, Parshvanatha and Mahavira.
According to Jains, Tirthankara Parshvanath delivered his discourse (deshna) on this hill.