The Union Vélocipédique Française (UVF) was the predecessor of the FFC. It was founded on February 6, 1881, in Paris at the Café Le Marengo by delegates of ten cycling clubs, who on the same day decided to create a national championship race of 10 km. The first president was Parisian Paul Devilliers, and from the start the UVF admitted professional riders.
The UVF was reformed on December 20, 1940, to become the FFC.
The executive board is composed of a president, six vice-presidents, a general secretary, and a general treasurer.