The fort site is now part of the public lands of Exhibition Place. It is also the name of a short street, Fort Rouille Street, located approximately 1 km (0.62 mi) north of the fort site accessible from Springhurst Avenue with a few homes mostly the west side and the east serves as the entrance for streetcars or buses using the Dufferin streetcar loop.
Three French fortifications were located in what is now known as Toronto:
Its construction was ordered by the Marquis de la Jonquière, then governor of New France, in order to further establish a French presence in the area, and to intercept the trade of aboriginals travelling towards a British fur-trading post in present-day Oswego. According to a report of the Abbé Picquet, the aboriginals received a larger amount of silver for their beavers at Oswego. Although they preferred French brandy, this was not enough to dissuade the natives from going to Oswego. "To destroy the trade there, the King's posts ought to have been supplied with the same goods as Chouegen (Oswego) and at the same price." Learning that the aboriginals travelled south along the Toronto Carrying-Place trail, the decision was made to locate the fort at Toronto.
The new fort was named for Antoine Louis Rouillé, Comte de Jouy and French Minister of Marine and Colonies from 1749–1753.
Abbé Picquet visited Rouillé in 1752. He found good bread and wine there and it was better-equipped than other outposts. The Mississaugas there expressed a wish for Picquet to build a church there; they had only been built a canteen. Picquet had worked among the Iroquois south of the lake and the Mississaugas felt that the Iroquois had been better treated.