It is partnered with Longley Park Sixth Form College, HBH Academy Trust, Beck Primary School, Hucklow Primary School and others.
It began its life as Firth Park Secondary School in 1920, becoming Firth Park Grammar School in 1937. This became the comprehensive Firth Park School in 1969. Old pupils of the school are known as Old Firparnians. In 2004, the Longley Park Sixth Form College was opened on the site of Firth Park Grammar School. The school gained specialist status as an Arts College and was renamed Firth Park Community Arts College. The school converted to academy status on 1 August 2013 and was renamed Firth Park Academy. The school is now sponsored by the Academies Enterprise Trust.
In 2008-09, Firth Park Secondary School introduced houses, based on the same principle on the houses in the Harry Potter films. Students were asked how these houses should be named, and it was agreed they would be named after sport clubs in the area.
In 2013, with the change into an academy, the house names were changed. Students had a selection of names to choose from based on influential people in history.