The College's primary object is given as "The encouragement of the study and the advancement of the science and practice of obstetrics and gynaecology", although its governing documents impose no specific restrictions on its operation. Its offices are near Regent's Park in central London.
The British College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists was founded in September 1929 by Professor William Blair-Bell and Sir William Fletcher Shaw. For the first three years, the office work was done from 20 St John Street, Manchester. In 1932 the office moved to 58 Queen Anne Street, London. The building was officially opened by the College's Royal Patron, the Duchess of York, on December 5 1932.
The organisation was granted a Royal Charter on 21 March 1947. With continuing expansion of the College activities, it had outgrown the Queen Anne Street premises and a decision was made in 1952 to move to larger premises.
The College moved to the present premises at 27 Sussex Place, Regent's Park, on Crown Estate land, in July 1960. The new building was formally opened by Queen Elizabeth II, on 13 July 1960. In 2018, the Duchess of Cambridge became the College's Royal Patron.
The RCOG's aim is ‘to set standards to improve women’s health and the clinical practice of obstetrics and gynaecology in the British Isles and across the world’.