Cheranalloor Kartha Family of South Chittor was the founder of Ernakulam Siva Temple.As per the devaprasna this temple have a connection with Vaishnava.Jadavedan nampoothiri was the swamiyar of Ernakulam Siva Temple and Thiruvananthapuram Shri Padmanabhaswamy Temple.He was a member of Cheranalloor Kartha Family of South Chittoor
The temple's legend is deeply associated with Hindu epic Mahabharata. Arjuna, the 3rd Pandava made a severe penance to propitiate Lord Shiva. Pleased with Arjuna’s devotion Shiva accompanied with his consort Sri Parvathi set out from their abode at Mount Kailash to meet Arjuna.
Shiva intends to impress Parvathi with the devotion Arjuna has towards him. Shiva disguises himself as "Kiratha" a tribal hunter before appearing before Arjuna.Just as Shiva appears before Arjuna he sees a wild boar charging towards Arjuna and shoots an arrow at the boar. Arjuna, who is an accomplished archer, also shoots an arrow at the boar. The boar who was in fact a demon named Mookasura in disguise is killed and its original form is revealed. However, dispute arises between Arjuna and Kiratha as to who is the real killer of the animal. A battle ensues between the two, lasting a long time, ultimately resulting in Kiratha’s victory over Arjuna.
The vanquished Arjuna, unable to even stand up makes a Shiva Linga out of mud and performs a pooja offering flowers. To his surprise, he sees that the flower he offers over the Shiva Linga is falling over the head of Kiratha. Arjuna then realises that Kiratha is none other than his Lord Shiva. Pleased with his devotion and sincerity, Lord Shiva granted Pashupatha Arrow to Arjuna. Arjuna left this place and soon this area was covered with dense forest, uninhabited for long time. The existence of the Shiva linga made by Arjuna also disappeared from memories of all.
Centuries later, a boy named Devala who has been cursed by a sage, now has a body of a snake, crawled into this forest and saw this lingam completely submerged into mud . He worshiped this lingam as part a deep penance in hope for redeeming from the curse. Soon a few people spotted this mysterious man with body of snake and called him as Rishi Nagam (Saint Serpent) and feared even to come near to him. Some even tried to thwart him with sticks etc. Unmoved by all these action, Rishi Nagam continued his severe penance. Finally Lord Shiva and Parvathi appeared in their original form and asked the sage to take a dip in the nearby pond. As soon as he immersed, he was redeemed from the curse. Soon a new idol appeared just near to the original lingam. Based on this legend, the place got its new name, Rishnagakulam (The pond of Rishi Nagam) and the temple was constructed by the public.
The existence of temple was first mentioned in Sangam Literature as one of the major temples under Chera Dynasty. Cheras were adherent worshipers of Lord Shiva. When Chera dynasty ended, the place fell into the hands a few Nair nobles who renamed the place as Ernakulam (corrupt form of original word- Eere Naal Kulam meaning Pond with water always) in recognition of the famous sacred pond of this temple. Soon this area came under reign of Kochi Kingdom. The Kochi Rulers, due to the siege of Fort Kochi by the Dutch in the 17th century, moved their capital to Ernakulam and established a Palace close to this temple, facing the temple pond (The Tank Shed Palace seen behind current Durbar Hall). This helped the temple to gain prominence, due to royal patronage. The temple deity was declared as protector of Ernakulam city (Nagara Devata), which was one of the major reason of contention between Edappally Nair Lords who were the traditional feudal lord of the town and the Kochi Maharajas.
The second phase of the temple came in 1842 when Diwan of Kochi, Sri Edakkunni Sankara Warrier felt to renovate the temple which were in dilapidated condition. Works were started in 1843. Two new Gopura Mandapams (Entrance Towers) were constructed in traditional Kerala style similar to Sree Poornathrayesa Temple of Tripunithura which was the Chief Royal temple of Kochi Maharajas. The new temple complex was opened to public in 1846. The temple was elevated to a royal temple and brought under direct administration of Kochi Government's Devaswom Board. In 1949, when Kochi acceded into India Union, the Devaswom Board came under new Government's control, which still remains.