Planning of the airfield began in 1933, and the airfield was opened in 1936. Before and during the Second World War, the airfield served as a base of the Finnish Air Force. The German leader (Führer) Adolf Hitler visited Immola on June 4, 1942 to congratulate C. G. E. Mannerheim, the Marshal of Finland, on his 75th birthday. In summer 1944, the Detachment Kuhlmey operated mainly from Immola.
Media related to Immola Airfield at Wikimedia Commons