Drainage divide

A drainage divide, water divide, divide, ridgeline, watershed, or water parting is the line that separates neighbouring drainage basins. On rugged land, the divide lies along topographical ridges, and may be in the form of a single range of hills or mountains, known as a dividing range. On flat terrain, especially where the ground is marshy, the divide may be harder to discern.

A valley floor divide is a low drainage divide that runs across a valley, sometimes created by deposition or stream capture.

Since ridgelines are relatively easy to see and agree about, drainage divides are often natural borders defining political boundaries, as with the 18th century North America Royal Proclamation of 1763 that preceded the American Revolution.

Drainage divides can be divided into three types:

A valley-floor divide occurs on the bottom of a valley and arises as a result of subsequent depositions, such as scree, in a valley through which a river originally flowed continuously.

Examples include the Kartitsch Saddle in the Gail valley in East Tyrol, which forms the watershed between the Drau and the Gail, and the divides in the Toblacher Feld between Innichen and Toblach in Italy, where the Drau empties into the Black Sea and the Rienz into the Adriatic.

This page was last edited on 8 April 2018, at 14:22 (UTC).
Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drainage_divide under CC BY-SA license.

Related Topics

Recently Viewed