In 1785, John Davenport began as a potter working with Thomas Wolfe of Stoke. In 1794, he acquired his own pottery at Longport and began producing cream-coloured blue-printed earthenware. By September 1806 the quality of his porcelain wares was such that the Prince of Wales, later to become King George IV, ordered services of the finest and most valuable kinds. John retired in 1830 and his sons, William and Henry, carried on the firm. Henry died in 1835 and the firm became William Davenport and Company. William died in 1869. The firm continued under William’s two sons till 1887 when the factory was closed.
Landscape artist James Holland (1800-1872) was employed, from the age of 12, for 7 years as a flower painter at the Longport works. His father and other members of the family were also employed there.
In 1887 Davenport was acquired by Burleigh Pottery.