The village, just to the west of the M6 motorway (junction 14), has a population of just a few hundred, although the parish boundary also incorporates the Primepoint business park on the other side of the motorway. The village also lies close to Doxey Marshes.
The name Creswell is thought to come from Old English Cærsewella referring to the plant watercress (cærse in Old English and wella meaning spring or stream), meaning 'the spring where watercress grows.' A Neolithic polished stone axehead was found in a garden in Creswell in 1960, and about a quarter of a mile to the north-west are the ruins of an ancient chapel, or meeting house.
Most of the recorded history of the village centres on 'Creswell Chapel of Ease,' which seems to date from c.1150. The only visible remains of this chapel is a partial ruin standing in fields to the northwest of the village proper. It had been in former times a subsidiary chapel of the Royal Free Chapel of St. Mary in Stafford since 1346. Only the two adjoining north and east walls of the chancel survive, the north window having Early English narrow lancet windows which are typical of the 13th century, while the east wall displays features typical of the 15th century.
Extensive existing earthworks around the chapel ruin suggest other buildings were also present, but the claim that modern archaeological field investigations (have) uncovered no evidence of any buildings other than the chapel in the area...(and) that the antiquarian report mistook the remains of Medieval 'ridge and furrow' farming as the overgrown walls and earthworks of another ruined building, lacks credibility to anyone making a visit and examining the earthworks present at the site, which by no means resemble the remains of ridge and furrow farming as stated. Alternatively, the marks could be of much more recent origin. No reference is given as to when the 'modern archaeological investigations' were undertaken or where the report was published.
A 1428 inquisition stated that by ancient custom, the parishioners of Creswell buried their dead in the graveyard of the Church of Saint Bertelin in Stafford, since no burials are recorded at Creswell Chapel.