The city name is derived from the "palma de corozo" (grugru palm, Acrocomia media) which abounds in the central zone of the Island.
Corozal was founded in 1795 and officially became a town in 1804. Commonly known as La Cuna del Volibol or Volleyball's Crib. It takes its name from the "palma de corozo" (Acrocomia media). Its population as of the 2000 census was 36,867, and it has a land area of 43 sq mi (111 km2).
Corozal is home to the Historical Center of Cibuco, a park and museum with relics from the Puerto Rican natives (Tainos) as well as objects, paintings and artifacts from the town's history.
Local interest: El Balalaika is a cafeteria / liquor store which opened its doors around 1962 and hasn't been closed since, with the exceptions of Hurricane Hugo and the occasional political elections. It also serves as a Municipal Police Outpost.