The Cincinnati Times-Star was an afternoon daily newspaper in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States, from 1880 to 1958. The Northern Kentucky edition was known as The Kentucky Times-Star, and a Sunday edition was known as The Sunday Times-Star. The Times-Star was owned by the Taft family and originally edited by Charles Phelps Taft, then, by his nephew, Hulbert Taft, Sr. The Taft family's investments in news media would later grow into Taft Broadcasting, a conglomerate that owned radio, television, and entertainment properties nationwide.
The Times-Star first published on June 15, 1880, after the merger of The Times (founded April 25, 1840, as Spirit of the Times) and The Cincinnati Daily Star (founded in 1872 as The Evening Star). Charles Phelps Taft had purchased both papers the previous year, and named his brother, Peter Rawson Taft II, publisher.
On November 23, 1895, the Times-Star ran an editorial proposing a contest to choose a flag for the City of Cincinnati, offering a $50 prize. On January 24, 1896, the commission awarded the $50 to influential illustrator Emil Rothengatter for the design that is in use today.
In 1952, Hulbert Taft, Sr., owner and publisher of the Times-Star, attempted to acquire The Cincinnati Enquirer from its owner, a Washington D.C.–based trust. A bidding war ensued when Enquirer employees pooled their assets in order to make a counter offer. The offer was accepted by the trust, and the attempted acquisition was unsuccessful.