It is also the name of two electoral wards (West Chesterton and East Chesterton) in the city. The total population of both wards at the 2011 Census was 18,134. These are roughly the same as the area normally called Chesterton: specifically the land north of the River Cam, east of Castle Hill and south of the Arbury and King's Hedges estates.
A local board of health (urban sanitary district) was formed for Chesterton in 1880, becoming Chesterton urban district under the Local Government Act 1894. This was abolished in 1912, with the urban area becoming part of the municipal borough of Cambridge, and the larger but less populous rural part forming part of the Milton parish.
Buses run seven times an hour to Cambridge city centre and six times an hour to each of Milton and Addenbrooke's Hospital.
A new Cambridge North railway station, built on the edge of East Chesterton, became operational in May 2017, something that had been campaigned for by numerous local politicians for decades.