The headquarter of the bank was next to Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Terni e Narni (Fondazione Carit) on Corso Tacito, Terni (49 and 49/A respectively).
Cassa di Risparmio di Spoleto (Carispo) was found in December 1836 in Spoleto, in the Papal States. In the same year Cassa di Risparmio di Roma also found. Since CR Roma was merged into Banca di Roma in 1992, CR Spoleto was the oldest surviving Cassa di Risparmio of the area of former Papal States, until the merger in 2012. After the merger Cassa di Risparmio in Bologna became the oldest surviving saving bank of former Papal States instead.
In 1992 CR Spoleto also spin off its bank activities to form Cassa di Risparmio di Spoleto S.p.A., with the original entity was renamed to Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Spoleto. The banking foundation sold 30% stake to Cassa di Risparmio delle Provincie Lombarde (Cariplo) in mid 1990s.
In July 1999 Banca Intesa (ex-Cariplo) owned a majority interests (59.44%) of the bank, as well as forming a sub-holding company: Holding Intesa Centro (Casse del Centro), for a potential integration of the saving banks in central Italy. During the peak of Casse del Centro, the holding had 4 separate banks from Umbria (which were merged in 2012), as well as Cassa di Risparmio di Fano (sold to Credito Valtellinese in 2008), Cassa di Risparmio di Ascoli Piceno (absorbed by Banca dell'Adriatico in 2013), Cassa di Risparmio della Provincia di Viterbo and Cassa di Risparmio di Rieti (absorbed into Intesa Sanpaolo in 2015). The shares of Casse del Centro was transferred to Banca CR Firenze in 2008 from the parent company Intesa Sanpaolo, which the Florence bank became the sub-holding company for the bank group instead, as Casse del Centro was liquidated soon after.