Before Bristol Township was settled, it was populated by Delaware Indians. It was formed as Buckingham Township in 1692 and was renamed Bristol Township in 1702. The springs at Bath, in Bristol Township, were popular among wealthy Philadelphians for a while, but lost popularity to the ones in Saratoga, New York. The Delaware Canal was built in 1831 and connected Bristol to Easton, 60 miles to the north. Still, until the 1950s Bristol Township was largely agricultural. In 1952 William Levitt began construction of his Levittown, which was located partly in Bristol Township.
The War Dog Memorial, located in front of the Bristol Township Municipal Building, was dedicated in 2006.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 17.2 square miles (45 km2), of which, 16.1 square miles (42 km2) of it is land and 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2) of it (6.33%) is water.
Bristol Township is located at a crossroads of U.S. Route 13, Pennsylvania Route 413, the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 276), and Interstate 95. Some of these roads mentioned originated as Lenni Lenape river trails along the Delaware River. This has made Bristol Township an ideal location.