Bottmingen

Picswiss BL-45-09.jpg
Coat of arms of Bottmingen
Bottmingen (Swiss German: Bottmige) is a municipality in the district of Arlesheim in the canton of Basel-Land in Switzerland.

Bottmingen is first mentioned in 1246 as Bothmingen.

Bottmingen has an area, as of 2009, of 2.99 square kilometers (1.15 sq mi). Of this area, 0.77 km2 (0.30 sq mi) or 25.8% is used for agricultural purposes, while 0.55 km2 (0.21 sq mi) or 18.4% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.61 km2 (0.62 sq mi) or 53.8% is settled (buildings or roads), 0.02 km2 (4.9 acres) or 0.7% is either rivers or lakes and 0.01 km2 (2.5 acres) or 0.3% is unproductive land.

Of the built up area, industrial buildings made up 1.3% of the total area while housing and buildings made up 34.8% and transportation infrastructure made up 12.0%. Power and water infrastructure as well as other special developed areas made up 1.7% of the area while parks, green belts and sports fields made up 4.0%. Out of the forested land, all of the forested land area is covered with heavy forests. Of the agricultural land, 14.0% is used for growing crops and 5.0% is pastures, while 6.7% is used for orchards or vine crops. All the water in the municipality is in lakes.

The municipality is located in the Arlesheim district, along the Birsig river. Until 1837 it was part of Binningen. Over the course of the 19th century, it was absorbed by the agglomeration of Basel.

The blazon of the municipal coat of arms is described as "Two crossed figures on a red background whose meaning cannot be determined with certainty. It is the seal of the Basel aristocrat Schilling, the second owner of the Bottmingen castle."

This page was last edited on 22 January 2018, at 14:07 (UTC).
Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottmingen under CC BY-SA license.

Related Topics

Recently Viewed