The station is classified by Deutsche Bahn as a category 4 station. Less than five of the long-distance passenger services running on the left Rhine line stop at the station each day. It is served by one Regional-Express service (stopping every two hours) and two Regionalbahn stopping services (each stopping hourly).
In addition to the main station, there are five other railway stations in Boppard.
In 1854, the Rhenish Railway Company (Rheinische Eisenbahn Gesellschaft, RhE) began planning the construction of the extension of the left Rhine line from its current terminus at Rolandseck to Bingen Hauptbahnhof. At the end of 1859, the southern section of the left Rhine line was put into operation between Koblenz and Bingen. Boppard station was built at the same time and opened in 1859. Around 1903, work began to connect the Hunsrück Railway to this station. Ultimately it was decided to build a line running through today's district of Buchholz, so that the line connected to the north of Boppard station. However, the Säuerlingsturm (tower), which was part of the medieval city walls, was in the way. Therefore, between 1906 and 1908 this tower was dismantled and rebuilt with thinner walls to the north of its old position. In 1908, the line was opened. In the Boppard–Boppard-Buchholz section, the line climbs 336 metres and is still the steepest railway in Germany using adhesion only.
An important step in achieving today's high-capacity line on the left bank of the Rhine was the modernisation of the interlocking technology in the 1970s. Pre-planning and design work for new signal installations in the Boppard area began in 1974. After about two and a half years of construction, the Boppard Bf signalling centre was put into operation on the night of 28 August 1977. It replaced mechanical signalling and safety equipment from the period before the First World War. In 1994, the new entrance building was opened in Boppard. The 1859 station building was originally left standing in accordance with a preservation order, but it had to be demolished in 1989 to permit the relocation of federal highway B 9. The handling of freight in Boppard and on the Hunsrück railway was abandoned, allowing Deutsche Bahn to dismantle the tracks and points at the station from 1998. In particular, tracks 5 and 6 and the freight handling facilities were removed. This site is now in the control of the town of Boppard and serves as a parking lot. Remnants of track 5 are still visible.
From the beginning of the summer timetable on 10 June 2001, Deutsche Bahn renamed Boppard station as Boppard Hauptbahnhof ("Boppard main station"). This was done at the initiative of Boppard Mayor Walter Bersch. At the time, Boppard also had the stations of Boppard Süd, Hirzenach, Bad Salzig, Fleckertshöhe and Buchholz, more stations than Koblenz.