The bishops, whose seat was Riesenburg (Prabuty), ruled one third of diocesan territory as his temporality. The diocesan cathedral chapter met in the fortified cathedral of Marienwerder (Kwidzyn). In the 1280s the Teutonic Order succeeded to impose the simultaneous membership of all capitular canons in the Order thus winning influence in the diocese and in the capitular elections of the bishops. So the temporality of Pomesania's bishop did not develop the status of a prince-bishopric and was ruled as part of Teutonic Prussia.
Beginning in 1523 during the Protestant Reformation, the diocese was effectively administered by Lutheran bishops until 1587, when the diocese was secularized by the regent of Ducal Prussia, George Frederick.
However the Catholic diocese was only formally suppressed in 1763, having remained vacant since 1524 except for 'temporary' Apostolic administrators since 1601.
The diocesan area outside of Ducal Prussia remained Catholic and on 1601.04.19 joined the Roman Catholic Diocese of Chełmno (Bishopric of Kulm=Culm in German; now Peplin in Polish).
In October 2014 the Catholic diocese was nominally restored as Titular bishopric of Pomezania (Polish) / Pomesania (Curiate Italian) / Pomesanien (German) / Latin adjective Pomesanien(sis).
It has had the following incumbent(s), so far of the fitting Episcopal (lowest) rank :