The village is located 20 kilometres (12 mi) northeast into a secondary road leaving off Route 30 at about 60 kilometres (37 mi) west of the department capital Artigas and joining it with the village Topador before returning to Route 30 at a point about 23 kilometres (14 mi) west of Artigas.
It is situated south of the hill Cuchilla del Yacaré and north of the stream Arroyo Tres Cruces.
Its earlier name was "Allende" or "Yacaré", and on 26 May 1924, it was declared a "Pueblo" (village) by the Act of Ley Nº 7.720. It was renamed to "Bernabé Rivera" on 11 January 1956 by the Act of Ley Nº 12.271.
In 2011 Bernabe Rivera had a population of 380.
Source: Instituto Nacional de Estadística de Uruguay