is a village
in Belmont County
, United States. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area
. The population was 453 at the 2010 census
Belmont was originally known as Wrightstown, and under the latter name was laid out in 1808 by Joseph Wright. The name was switched to Belmont in anticipation of being the county seat of Belmont County. St. Clairsville, however, was given the honor of having Belmont County's center of government. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad cut through the town until its dismantling in the 1980s.
Belmont is located at 40°1′39″N 81°2′27″W / 40.02750°N 81.04083°W (40.027560, -81.040807).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.27 square miles (0.70 km2), all land.
Belmont is also located approximately one mile south of Barkcamp State Park.
The Village is also part of the historic Drover's Trail that winds through the hills and valleys of Belmont County.
This page was last edited on 19 February 2018, at 01:00.
under CC BY-SA license.