What is now the museum was formerly a three-story, three-family dwelling belonging to Joseph Boivin, the manager of the St. Mary's Cooperative Credit Association. Boivin started the credit union with the help of Monsignor Pierre Hevey and Alphonse Desjardins. The building was donated to the museum by Mr. & Mrs. Armand Lemire. To create the museum, the first two floors were converted into exhibit space about credit union history in the United States. The first floor pays tribute to the founding era of the credit union from 1908-1933. The second floor has historical artifacts beginning from 1934, featuring the Estes Park conference that created CUNA, and the 1934 Federal Credit Union Act which enabled credit unions to be established in all states in the nation. The third floor contains an 85-person capacity meeting space with LCD projectors.
The museum received a $25,000 grant from the National Credit Union Foundation in 2008 to expand its financial education program.
Currently the museum is open three days a week, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. There is no charge for admission.