Al-Burayj is located in Mandatory Palestine
Al-Burayj was a Palestinian Arab village in the Jerusalem Subdistrict. It was depopulated during the 1948 Arab–Israeli War on October 19, 1948, during the first phase of Operation Ha-Har. The village was located 28.5 km west of Jerusalem.

In 1838 el-Bureij was noted as a Muslim village, located in er-Ramleh district.

In 1863 Victor Guérin noted it as a village of 200 inhabitants. The Sheikh's house was described as "fairly large and fairly constructed"; the others, less so. Tobacco plantations were spread around. He also noted large ancient blocks, which, it was said, originated from Kh. Tibneh, just to the north.

Socin found from an official Ottoman village list from about 1870 that buredsch had a population of 116 in a total of 41 houses, though that population count included men, only. It was further noted that it was located between Mughallis and Saydun. Hartmann found that el buredsch had 40 houses.

In 1882, the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) described El Bureij as: "A small village on high ground, having a high house or tower in the middle, from which it is named."

In the 1922 census of Palestine conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Buraij had a population of 398; all Muslims, increasing in the 1931 census to 621; 7 Christians and 614 Muslims, in a total of 132 houses.

This page was last edited on 23 May 2018, at 12:35.
Reference: under CC BY-SA license.

Related Topics

Recently Viewed