The station is 27 miles 72 chains (44.9 km) from Dingwall, and has a passing loop 28 chains (560 m) long, flanked by two platforms. Platform 1 on the up (eastbound) line can accommodate trains having three coaches, whereas platform 2 on the down (westbound) line can hold five.
The station was opened by the Dingwall and Skye Railway on 19 August 1870, but operated from the outset by the Highland Railway. The station hotel was built by Alexander Ross and opened in 1871. It was extended by William Roberts in 1898 and again at the turn of the 21st century.
It was once an important railhead, handling passengers, mail and freight bound for parts of Wester Ross, including Gairloch and the Loch Torridon area. A proposal for a 35-mile-long (56 km) branch line to Aultbea, via Gairloch and Poolewe. Plans for the Loch Maree and Aultbea Railway was put to Parliament in 1893, but the proposal was rejected, as it deemed that the line would not be commercially viable in such a remote area. All freight in this area now travels by road. The station building still serves as a postal distribution point, but the mail travels from Inverness by road.